Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Decisions, Decisions...

Decisions, Decisions…

Life is all about making decisions.   No matter what we do every waking moment of our day, we make decisions.  When should I get up?  What should I wear?  What will I pack in my lunch for the day?  What will I try and get accomplished at work today?  Will I workout after I get home?  Will I run on the treadmill or on the road?  What will I have for dinner?  What will I watch on TV?  Will I work on the paper I keep putting off?  Decisions, decisions.

 For the past year or so I’ve been looking at a career change.  I’ve been working in the public sector for nearly 25 years.  I’ve felt a yearning to move into the private sector and look for work closer to my parents.  They aren’t getting any younger, and I have felt that I still have 12-15 more years of good work in me to be of value to an organization. 

The decision to move from public to private sector isn’t an easy one.  Many would argue that the public sector offers job security that the private sector cannot.  The reality is that the public sector is becoming less and less secure each and every day.  Defense budget cuts are affecting working conditions.  We are having to do more with less, and make sure we are justifying our existence.  If you’re not able to prove that your location is of worth to the department of defense mission, you’re likely to be shut down and forced to relocate – or even retire.

My decision to move into the private sector have to do with several factors; economics, opportunity, and adventure.  Economically the private sector offers more in compensation and benefits.  Relocation costs are extremely expense these days.  There are very few opportunities for relocation assistance in the public sector anymore.  Defense budget cuts just don’t allow for it.  On the other hand, bigger firms in the private sector can assist with moves, temporary housing and allowances, not to mention higher salary and yearend bonus incentives.

Job opportunities in the private sector are improving each year as our nation pulls itself out of the recession of 2008/2009.  Lean engineering, process improvement, change management and six sigma processes are gaining in popularity as more organizations begin to see the value in streamline operations.  Salaries are extremely competitive, and larger firms are able to entice top talent with top dollar pay and bonus options.

Finally, the adventure of moving to a new location, establishing a new residency, working along side new coworkers, making new friends, and having new neighbors can be exciting and refreshing.  Sometimes change can do a soul some good.

To me, my family is everything.  The decision to move from the public to the private sector can only work if my family is on board with it.  Every decision I make along the way - What salary should I ask for?, Is the new location a safe and secure one to raise a daughter and make my wife happy?, Is this a good time in my career to make a move?, etc.  All of these questions and the decisions I make along the way will help define the next 15 years of our lives.  I’d better make sure they’re the right decisions.

So I ask you, what decisions are you facing in the coming days, months, years?  How are you taking them on, my friend?

A Common Man

No comments:

Post a Comment