Friday, November 22, 2013

It's the Little Things...


Through social media I learned that a former student of mine was going to be appearing on national television.  She had written an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal that caught the attention of the major news networks.  I found out the date and time she would be on and tuned in to watch.  I literally had chills when I saw her on my screen!  There she was, speaking with a prominent news anchor about a major social issue.  She carried herself very well, appeared confident and ready to take on all comers.  She wasn’t on for more than a couple of minutes; a segment of a half hour program, but she shined in those two minutes and made me proud to know her.  Her 15 minutes of fame will carry on.  She is corresponding with well-known political anchors and her story is gathering momentum as I write this.
This particular student was somewhat of a challenge to me when I had her as a high school student, but in a good way.  She carried herself a little different than the rest of her classmates, but this was purposeful.  She dressed a bit differently, she was a bit too loud at time, she laughed at most things that no one else seemed to find humor in, but she was unique – one of a kind.  There was something about her that told me she was going to be a success in life.  She went on to Princeton University after graduating from high school.  Not bad for someone who graduated with a class of no bigger than 50 seniors!  She moved on, found her purpose and is staying true to the course.
These are the students that stick in a teacher’s mind the most.  These are the ones that challenge us, but also make us proud when they’ve accomplished something extraordinary.  These are the little things in life that make me glad I had an opportunity to know her for a short while.  Thank you, Princeton grad!  Thank you for giving me a glimpse of who you’ve become and where you’re heading in the world!
A Common Man

2 comments:

  1. I am ... completely floored and honored by this. I'll be in Wash. from Dec. 17th through Jan 3rd—would love to come to Poulsbo for a coffee [or a beer ;) ] !!

    ReplyDelete